more about us

November 25, 2012

in the shadow of your family tree | 80 years of G.M.C.









The weekend was a busy one - my grandad turned 80 and our extended family gathered to celebrate with him. There was a delicious lunch, a little wine, cake, laughs, a few tears (the sentimental good kind), some wood carvings, some poetry, some piano playing by A, lots of catch ups and lots of memories shared. I realised the importance of family, those people who weather life's storms with you, cheer you on, and hold you up when you need it. It was a weekend of love and it was just so good. 

I flew back to Dunedin, and as we drove back from the airport, the sun was setting over the hills. Sure enough, when we reached the top of the hill that overlooks Dunedin, soft rain started falling - the typical welcome of Dunedin. It is always raining when you return home. We drove up to Maitland where beans and polenta and conversation awaited. After such a fulfilling weekend, I'll sleep well tonight I think. 

1. Delicious food at the birthday lunch in a rural Canterbury vineyard.
2. Mum and I
3. Mum and my Uncle M
4. Extremely decadent pannacotta at lunchtime.
5. Boy talk - my grandad, uncle and brother A.
6. The sun setting over the mountains.
7. A clipping from the Palmerston North Evening Standard when my Mum and her Dad both graduated with their degrees at the same time. 
8. My parents on their wedding day nearly 30 years ago - a favourite photo.

-----

day 2/365
I think it goes without saying - today I am grateful for family. With whom I share memories and experiences, good times and bad .. and throughout it all, we support each other always and love unconditionally. I'm grateful for my Grandma G and Grandad G - who are an example of a successful, loving partnership and marriage; now and always. xx

-----

linking here
title from tv on the radio - family tree

19 comments:

  1. What a wonderful glimpse into your family and its history. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enhorabuena por tu blog, muy bien hecho, te seguirò.se debe ser mi seguidor en mi italiano blog, voy a esperar ..
    http://ragazzocomune.blogspot.it/
    http://scrivimidamore.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks like you had a wonderful weekend! Your photos are wonderful. Elaina xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best kind of time spent are meals shared with family... loved learning more about yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the picture of you and your mom. And may we all make it safely to 80 surrounded by our loved ones! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stumbled upon your blog and was mesmerized by your gorgeous images. Looks like your weekend was truly special, and I cant wait to see more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so glad you commented on my blog - I found yours! your photos are beautiful. You have a wonderful gift. look forward to coming back often

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such lovely photographs of a very special weekend. I like the one of you and your Mum. Happy 80th birthday to your Grandpa! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some fantastic memories here, and that man conversation looks very serious. Thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to looking around yours and following along.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Family is the best! Congrats to your Grandpa! I love the old pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to your grandad, you are lucky to still have him part of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love looking at old family photos, and what a great collection. There is nothing so precious as a wonderful family.

    xox Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like a really lovely weekend. Family is important - sometimes I forget that and then, when I need them, there they are for me. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you ever so much for the lovely comment you left on my blog. I'll certainly be dropping by and checking out your delicious looking posts... I'm such food person. I dream of Carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the one of you and your muma and the one of your mum and dad. Fabulous little family history :)

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I adored Dunedin when we road tripped around NZ years ago. We stayed in this funny old castle out by the water...and in a beautiful old building in town with tall stained glass windows and a leafy courtyard...x

    ReplyDelete