more about us

January 12, 2013

the waves clap goodbye to sorrow | keeping cool




It has been a hot summer here in the Southern Hemisphere. On Christmas day it was 34ºC where we celebrated, and mid-30's heat has become somewhat usual for me. I know those reading in Australia are suffering through weather a good 10ºC warmer than us here, and those around the other side of the world are most likely cold. 

I returned to Maitland St with sand in my pockets and ears, the salty water curling my hair into ringlets, with a suitcase full of unnecessary clothing and also blueberries, avocados, and some rhubarb from my grandparents garden. I have been spring cleaning the past few days (I know, it's not seasonally accurate to call it spring cleaning) which has meant, mainly, clearing out my wardrobe, many loads of washing, and decluttering. Just before you think I'm completely boring I should probably mention this was punctuated by a evening with two beautiful ladies, H and S, watching some Black Books and Becoming Jane, drinking merlot and limeade. S picked us up and dropped us off in her red refurbished mini - think Mr. Bean's car. Such a treat to ride in! 

For the past six years summer has been a time of change - I have moved every summer to a different abode. This summer I'm not moving anywhere and I'm so grateful to be staying still, putting down roots (literally, in the garden), focussing my energies for the year ahead. 

1. Saying goodbye to the family was made better by this welcome back to Dunedin - in the past I've written about how it often rains upon returning to Dunedin - but this was a very beautiful exception.
2. Hanging washing by the light of the setting sun.
3. A grapefruit from my Grandad's tree was a bit too old to eat, so I squeezed the juice and added it to my ginger beer - delicious.
4. Another gingerbeer addition - the last of the Waihi beach blueberries frozen into iceblocks, inspired by L.

-----

day 7/365
today I'm grateful for holidays with family, with friends, time away from usual daily routines. Oh, it's so refreshing! 

-----

title from come in please - edward sharpe & the magnetic zeros

-----

17 comments:

  1. Very lovely. Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year. Gingerbeer...mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so very beautiful! I adore the peg shot. And blueberry in ice not only looks beautiful but would be delicious. The poppets would LOVE it! Wishing you a beautiful week :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also so simple - just water on top of berries! hope your week is good too. x

      Delete
  4. oh look at these utterly gorgeous images, you are amazing. Nice work on adding the grapefruit to the ginger beer, how divine and refreshing. Love the post title too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh so many compliments lovely lady. I'm blushing! x

      Delete
  5. These are lovely photos Georgi!
    I'm glad you don't have to move this summer... as someone who's moved five times in the last eight years, I totally empathise.
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh that's a lot - can't imagine packing up a whole house and family five times - phew! x

      Delete
  6. I feel a little bit of Tim Winton in your words. thats a compliment of the highest order.

    thanks for linking up georgi!

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I googled him and got totally absorbed in a guardian online article about him. He sounds similar to NZ's Hone Tuwhare, my very favourite poet. A HUGE compliment!

      Delete
  7. Those blueberries ice cubes are such a good idea!
    Love your blog, all the photographhy is so nice.
    Annie-Lou XO
    www.inthebigoldworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. gosh, your photography is delicious! Citrus in ginger beer is a big winner in my book (especially with a little vodka). Nice to find you at Em's place. Have a sweet weekend :)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. I found this through the weekly stills and absolutely love it! I am originally from Florida but now live in Washington state, the Pacific Northwest and I would love for it to be summer now, too cold!

    ReplyDelete